Tuesday, May 17, 2011

5.14.11


Kylene and her new companion Sister Redden


Hey everyone!

This week has been absolutely crazy! It started with an emergency trip to the Emergency Room in Guatemala City for a sick Hermana. We left Xela (nickname for Quetzaltenango) at 6:30 Sunday night, and arrived at 9:30....our bus driver was booking it over those mountains! I just closed my eyes through the windy and foggy part. Ha. I am becoming great friends with Dramamine, it works miracles. Hermana Redden and I got to bed around 12ish that night, and then got on a bus back to Xela (nickname for Quetzaltenango) the next morning...leaving our sicky in Guatemala City. Needless to say, we were wasted. I thought I was giving up my attachment to a cell phone by coming on a mission...joke!

Then, on Thursday and Friday, we have a conferencia de Hermanas (conference of sisters). It was actually pretty good! We missed the first half Thursday because Dr. MacArthur was in town for a few hours...but the rest of it was good. Presidente Lorenzana talked about making personal rules for our lives. If we have a habit or something that we desire to cambiar (change)...make rules to help. Or if there is an attribute you want to improve, make a personal rule to help you make these changes. I really liked this...it helps one to be accountable for your own thoughts and actions. If you can´t be true to yourself, I imagine it would be nearly impossible to be true to someone else. We ended up having a huge water fight at the end of the conference...I don´t think that it was planned, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. Oh, and my favorite part....we watched MULAN! I LOVE that movie! I think it is my favorite! Ha.

Things that remind me I am in Guatemala...I am in the microbus, crammed full of people...we pull up to the gas station, the driver starts filling up with gas...the bus is on and rolling. ha! Or, a motorcycle passes me...and attached to the back of it is about three propane tanks! haha! They´re crazies! Lol!

Life is about changes...it we aren´t changing, we aren´t progressing...if we aren´t progressing...what´s the point? Christ is the ultimate example of what we need to be, and what we need to become. I have been reading lately in the gospels, and I am learning so much about the Character of Christ...He truly set the pattern of patience, service, and love. We all have our personal strengths, but our weaknesses are just as important to develop.

I love you all! Thank you for everything!

Kylene



No comments:

Post a Comment