Monday, April 4, 2011

3.28.11

Hey everyone!

Ummm…this week has been a good one! We were able to go to Olintapece….I spelled that wrong...but it is another area in my zone. We helped the missionaries there with some contacting. It was kind of fun because it is more outside of Xela, in an Adela. You walked a long time before you found houses…and most people were outside farming. A lot different than the type of farming you see at home though. Go figure. Ha.

This week seemed to fly by…we have been working a lot with the members of the ward, they really are great. We have a family, Hubo and Marsela, who are doing great. They speak the Mam…they really have a desire to come closer to God. Marsela is really funny…they are the first people that I have seen them joke around and relax more around us…which is really fun. Or maybe I am just now able to recognize the jokes? Ha, that is probably more likely.

Spanish…oh Spanish. I understand and speak a bit; people are always amazed that I have only been here a short time. However, I feel as though I don´t know much at all. Mostly…I get the general idea of the conversation and hope that the stuff I didn´t understand wasn´t that important.

I was waiting outside the bano (bathroom) for mi companera (my companion) at church…and all the members decided to have things to tell us and us to do…which is great…but, it definitely was a test of my Spanish. Kind of comical with one lady…but it worked. They manage to insult and compliment at the same time. They say, “How wow! Your Spanish is great!” and then a few minutes later, “Wow, you really have a hard time with it don´t you!”…haha, gotta love it. They know what I am saying, I don´t know what the big deal is if I put the accent in a wrong spot, lol!

I was reading this morning and I came across a scripture in 1 timothy 6:7, it says that we brought nothing into this world and we are going to bring nothing out. It was referring to pride and worldly possessions. But in Alma 34:34 we read that the same spirit that possesses us in this world will possess us in the world after. I think about that and I find a lot more incentive to go the extra mile to serve those around me; to edify my character and to develop those Christ like attributes. In Thessalonians 3:13 it says to never be weary of good doing…that is so true. It is hard sometimes, we are selfish and natural people… but true joy comes in turning ourselves to the Lord and putting that extra effort into serving those around us. No matter how little or big the service is, with real intent, it always counts. Those are my thoughts!

Love you all! Take care!
Hermana Otto

No comments:

Post a Comment