Hey all!
This week went well! This last Saturday we had the baptism for Roxana...it went very well! It really is such a cool experience to see someone take that leap of faith and trust in the Lord. The next day at church she was confirmed a member of the Church and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. That really is such a special moment, when you are giving the gift from God to have guidance and protection throughout our lives continually, as long as we stay faithful to the commandments. Without doubt, the Holy Ghost has guided me to and away from situations that I have been in, at any phase of my life. It is a great gift, one that we have to continually live worthy to have. Funny story about her baptism though...we went into the bathroom so that she could change into her white clothes. The big bathroom’s toilet was plugged and nasty. I felt nice and decided I would flush it for her. There was A HUGE air pocket and the whole thing exploded on me! YUCK! Let´s just say it is a good thing I always flush with my foot-- A talent worthy of developing.
We are teaching people from England! It is so strange to speak and teach to them in English. I was trying to say resurrected in English...and couldn´t do it! It was a bit shameful, not gonna lie! That´s okay, the second visit was better! It is such a difference to teach them...they have thought about religion and have legitimate questions, doubts, and opinions. The lesson was very, very involved, in depth, and fantastic. The teaching concept is the same though; the importance of teaching with the guidance of the Holy Ghost is absolutely essential. There is no way we can know everything all the time, but with the Holy Ghost we can remember what we need to know, when we need to know it. It is fun to speak and teach in English!
Oh, so the bishop’s wife gave us food the other day. A big ol’ huge slab of liver! Yuck. I thought, okay, I can do this...strange people eat this in the states too. I started with the rice...some of the liver juices had mixed in with it...it was pleasing to the taste. Finally, I mustered up the gumption to take a bit of the liver…at first I thought it was okay, but then after the first chew into turned into a pasty yuckyness. Then, I started thinking about the FUNCTION of the liver....and was disgusted. You aren´t supposed to eat that function. Gross. I couldn´t do it....I risked offence and turned down liver. I feel a little like a pansy but felt invigorated as well. For one day I didn´t force myself to eat something! Woot woot! Unfortunately, the cat didn´t approve...and peed on my bag. Yeah. That´s gross. Rough day.
We went and visited that sweetest old lady! Her name is Hermana Franco...she lives alone, is ancient, but is a hoot. She has the testimony of a rock, and the faith that builds it. She told us that she is praying that God will permit her to live until the dedication of the temple in December. She told us she can´t cook, sew or read anymore, so she doesn´t like it when others do her housework because then she has nothing to do and then she will get bored! It´s not easy to do your laundry on the pila (the stone washtub) here or the dishes! She is a trooper. Up until a few weeks ago she lived upstairs in her house...the stairs are a deathtrap to even me! I have no idea how she did it! Funny, I asked if we could take a picture, and she said, “are you sure you aren´t worried that I will break your camera!?” Haha! Sweet thing. She wanted to take her apron off, so I was helping her untie it...but at the same time she was talking about how to wear pants and a skirt...I was a little confused until all of a sudden she dropped her skirt to the floor and was in pants! haha! It was funny. She insisted that we went to the patio for the picture, when it was Redden´s turn, she asked for a stool. We thought she wanted to sit on it, but no, she commanded that Redden used it! haha, don´t mess with her! Sweet funny little thing. She asked if her hair looked okay, she didn´t want to scare the family! Lol
Okay. Something that absolutely makes me happy. Drunk old man, floppy cowboy boots, floppy cowboy hat, no teeth, huge smile, two quetzaltes (Guatemalan money) in one hand, watermelon rind in the other...asking everyone who passes if they have change. Then, he walks off singing and dancing to himself as he meanders down the street. Things like this make me smile.
We visited with Patricia again this week. She really is a sweetheart, but she is struggling. She is losing her vision, has had two eye surgeries but neither have been effective. She is losing her hope with life, her faith in the good of the world, she just wants to give up and be down. I hate hate hate hearing this. Not to sound unsympathetic, but I am tired of hearing it too! Satan is the devil! Go figure! There is always a reason to have hope to have faith. This woman has so little, but she has many reasons for hope and life...her grandchildren being a few reasons. But, it is frustrating when they don´t want to accept even that. We are trying to support her and help her see how, no matter how dreary the world is, there is always the hand of Christ, extended, ready to help. All we have to do is take His hand and start walking...He will guide us.
I love you! Thank you so much for your support!
Love,
Hermana Otto
Tell Kylene hi from Jackie her most favorite nursing buddy and that I miss her!
ReplyDelete