Friday, August 5, 2011

7.30.11

Hey All!


So this week has been a good one....it seemed to fly by a lot faster than the others of late. A kind of funny story...Hermana Redden and I were contacting a lady, when we were suddenly cornered by two drunks. But these weren´t the normal kind. They were preaching! Yup! Preaching drunks! At least they had the ´go two by two´ theory right!


This last Thursday was Hermana Redden´s birthday. We went to the Bishop´s house and his wife made her a cake. They had these “pacha” (I think this means a tamale of some sort, but I will ask Kylene for more info) looking things...it was all wrapped up in one of the huge leafs (picture below). The Bishop asked if we had ever had a chuchito. Here in Guatemala, this means little dog. We said no. He went off describing the cute little dogs, with the ears, the whiskers, the tail, all of it. I didn´t believe him and told him so, but he had a good ol´ time trying to convince us. The pacha thing ended up being the cooked maiz (corn), but in the middle of it was a sauce. Toward the end I hit some meat. It tasted like chicken, maybe turkey. But I am not sure....I couldn´t ask him because then he would know that I still somewhat believed him. I´m not too sure what I ate, but it´s all good!


For Hermana Reddens birthday, we made a great breakfast, a delicious cake, then the bishop’s wife´s cake, then we made a dinner. We ate pretty much the ENTIRE cake. Just picture the movie Matilda, “you can do it Brucie! You can do it!” Yeah...that was us. But it was good!


We have some really positive investigators right now, I am really thankful. A lot have dudas (doubts) that they aren´t really willing to try to fix. It´s as if they want to know, but they have too much fear to change. To be a disciple of Christ doesn´t mean we enter into an easier path. Often times, life seems to get rough for a while....but with all the keys to overcome the power of Satan, life still somehow seems so much easier. I always think of the scripture that says if we keep the commandments, God promises peace in this life and eternal life in the life after. The peace we receive helps us reach our main goal!


Everything is great! I love you all! Take care!


Hermana Otto


Kylene's new brown hair! She's fitting in with the locals!

Sister Redden's birthday and the day of CAKE!!

Kylene bravely eating the "Pacha"!


(left to right) Kylene, Sister Redden, The bishop's wife (who made the cake), and the bishop (who tried to convince Kylene that she was eating a dog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment